Monday, July 20, 2009

Wonderfully Random

Today was just one of those day you chalk up to complete and total randomness. Now I must preface this by saying that I don't actually believe that randomness exists, but that everything wraps itself up in God's providence. However, there are those times in life when the circumstances are so incredibly out there that it's just plain laughable. Welcome to today. First off, Michelle's son had strep throat so she was out today making me half Michelle, Amy D half me, and so on and so forth. It seemed like everyone was playing a new role today. Plus, it's a Monday, so we have a whole new round of campers who are experiencing camp for the first time. It's important that we look like we have it all together. I think we did a pretty good job, despite the fact that Owen, my oldest, had a fever, Lauren, the counselor, had a muscle spasm, and Ellen, the camper, had a bee sting on her toe. I literally felt like it was one thing after another. Nothing major, just a bunch of little things adding up to a day.

But let me tell you the best part...it all seemed completely seamless. And I have an amazing staff to thank for that. From the bottom up, our staff come to work each day ready to take on the world. And it's because of them that we have parents signing their kids up for an additional week. It's because of them that campers tell us that they'd rather be at Grace Adventures than any other camp in the area. It's because of them that a parent brought in donuts and coffee this morning. Without our staff, GADC wouldn't exist. So bring on the randomness, because I'm confident in our team and their ability to adapt to any situation.

Can I just tell you a story? I walked into the bathroom today and Sarah's group was changing for waterplay (in the stalls), and I hear them singing "hotter than hot," a camp favorite. Keep in mind that I can't see anyone, but I can hear them singing the song from behind stall doors. Only at camp can you walk out of the bathroom with a tune stuck in your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment